Skip to main content

Lemon Detection Project

I am not much into detective films and scoop stories but since one week I am involved in a lemon- giver-detection project. It all started few days back when I found a lemon on my terrace. By lemon, I didn’t mean the frail, not-yet-ripe, tiny lemons we find in the market. The lemon that hit my leg was bright, yellow, round, inviting-you-to-taste-it kind. I looked around to see if someone on another terrace was looking for a lost lemon but found none. I scanned the surroundings to see if there was any unnoticed lemon tree in the vicinity, from where this fruit might have come flying. Illogical it might seem but one can’t take chances when viruses are believed to die with photon energy that converts to atomic energy which in turn converts to quantum energy.

When I found no trees, I searched for any naughty kid that might have used a lemon in place of a tennis ball. Again, my search was in vain. Satisfied at the results, I finally took the lemon home and had a glass of fresh lime water salted and sweetened as per taste.

It was on the next day when another big, round, yellow, juicy lemon caught my attention that I give this project a thought. When lemons are running in a shortage everywhere, it cannot be a coincidence that I get to find a lemon on my terrace every morning. Later in the day, while having salted and sweetened fresh lime water, I browsed through various news websites to see if the Government is indeed raining lemons on terraces to fight the pandemic. It is even possible that I might have missed the Prime Minister’s weekend address.

I found no reference to any such schemes, no lemon-on-terrace challenges on social media, no lemon-showering drones by political parties and no lemon-therapy asana on Bhakti channels. Confused, I continued to enjoy my lime water for a few days. But, my over thinking brain kept telling me something was not right. It could possibly be a trap. Those lemons might be drugged. China might have started a lemon-war on India. What if I get addicted to these lemons and then they get banned like TikTok?  I couldn’t take any chances.

It was then that I decided to begin this investigation. It took me one week to identify the source of my terrace lemons. When camera traps and night outs failed, I finally had to sleep on my terrace to dig the facts out. After one week, this is what I found. The lemons were flying onto my terrace as expected. But contrary to my hypothesis, they were not flying from above but from below. My lemon-giver was neither the government nor an enemy nation. It was my good hearted neighbour next door.

Early in the morning she came out with her two weeks old grand-son. In his swaddle cloth was a lemon, the size and colour I now got used to seeing every day. She made three rounds around the little one’s head with the lemon and with one clean swing, threw it in my direction and ran indoors not once looking above to see if her object reached its destination. Confused at her behaviour, I picked my lemon and went back to enjoy my now favourite fresh lime water first thing in the morning.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyranny of Filming an Irony

The chilly cold breeze of the December winds was scarring his face. Anshul was staring out of the window unbothered of the freezing pain caused by their cold fingers. He was deep immersed in his thoughts about the on-going project. The days weren't harsh. He had been through harder times. This time his thoughts were more concerned about the impact his film is going to make on the viewers. Even one life saved is saved forever. He knew the impact films could have on people. When films could westernize people, teach them all sorts of violence and all sorts of crimes, then what great wonders could films do if they spread values? One good film is a one-time vaccine that hits millions of hearts in a single take and then keeps them immune to evil for a lifetime. 

Letter to Society Campaign - Open Letter 2

Dear society, You bothered me when I was an average student. I hated Math and you didn’t like that fact. You thought my parents reputation depended on my marks. You said I was putting them down - No, FYI I love them and will always do. And the respect they have earned cannot be tarnished by my percentage in math. No! You bothered me again when I was doing extremely well in my studies years later when I have learnt my interests and followed them. Didn’t you want that in the first place? You wanted me to get married because girls are supposed to settle at the right time. I’m a reason to worry for my parents because I chose career. You couldn’t comprehend what will I do after I study so much. Finally a girl had to get married. You were so worried about my future prospects - Actually you wanted me to study but not so well, earn but not so much, rise but not too high. Who will decide what Is the right time to do something and how much is enough? You? Sorry I disagree.  You were so so worrie

Suthaputra

The failing light of the western horizon was being outshone by the razing hurricane lamps of the central courtyard. I was adjusting his ankle bells as father’s words kept repeating in my mind. “A wink of carelessness in the battlefield or a word of truth on the theatre is enough to get your throat slit without an after-thought”, I could still hear them whispering from the depths of my heart. As I checked the strength of the thread, the ankle bells sang in rhythm to my inner thoughts. “A Sutha is not only a chariot-rider but also a chronicler of the King’s life. If the prince cries in pain, you say the tears are a manifestation of the royalty’s concern for the poor. If he exclaims it is for the good of the downtrodden and if he indulges in malpractices then it is to know the inner circles for better administrative strategies. We the so called Bards (Sutha) are the gatekeepers of a King’s role of divinity”, as I entered the stage I was almost repeating the words in low whispers.