Skip to main content

Letter to Society Campaign - Open Letter 2

Dear society,
You bothered me when I was an average student. I hated Math and you didn’t like that fact. You thought my parents reputation depended on my marks. You said I was putting them down - No, FYI I love them and will always do. And the respect they have earned cannot be tarnished by my percentage in math. No!

You bothered me again when I was doing extremely well in my studies years later when I have learnt my interests and followed them. Didn’t you want that in the first place? You wanted me to get married because girls are supposed to settle at the right time. I’m a reason to worry for my parents because I chose career. You couldn’t comprehend what will I do after I study so much. Finally a girl had to get married. You were so worried about my future prospects - Actually you wanted me to study but not so well, earn but not so much, rise but not too high. Who will decide what Is the right time to do something and how much is enough? You?
Sorry I disagree. 

You were so so worried or should I say extremely judgemental when I was shifting careers. You said I lacked clarity and will not do good- But how can one decide what they would like if they haven’t tried enough options. And honestly why are you worried?!Or are you probably excited that you got an excuse to criticise?!


Now that I have found my man and got married, are you at peace?No. You are bothered about when will I have kids. You want me conceive because I’m married. You keep intruding my personal space with that question of yours. No news yet? - Has it ever crossed your brilliant mind that it’s a couple’s very intimate choice? And you have no right to ask or judge about it? Kids are an outcome of love, not a foundation to it. And will you decide how much love is enough in a marriage or do you think kids are a mandate routine? I say a huge No to both your ideologies. Rest that mind of yours in peace please for everyone’s sake.

I have long grown out of the phase where I used to take long to decide what I should wear so that it suits your standards and I won’t be judged. But you keep me thinking about something or the other constantly. Have you no better work than to bother me? But there’s something you should know. The more you hit on my shortcomings, the stronger I evolve! Because I know it is not in my capacity nor it is my duty to satisfy you all my life. And I will remember this everytime you pose an awkward question. And you will someday realise that I’m made for better things than to please you!!

Till that day, oh Dont worry you will pass your time passing judgments and criticisms all around and I will continue to ignore you and focus on my betterment!

Yours Unbreakable, 
Uma Sushmita Perepa. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyranny of Filming an Irony

The chilly cold breeze of the December winds was scarring his face. Anshul was staring out of the window unbothered of the freezing pain caused by their cold fingers. He was deep immersed in his thoughts about the on-going project. The days weren't harsh. He had been through harder times. This time his thoughts were more concerned about the impact his film is going to make on the viewers. Even one life saved is saved forever. He knew the impact films could have on people. When films could westernize people, teach them all sorts of violence and all sorts of crimes, then what great wonders could films do if they spread values? One good film is a one-time vaccine that hits millions of hearts in a single take and then keeps them immune to evil for a lifetime. 

Suthaputra

The failing light of the western horizon was being outshone by the razing hurricane lamps of the central courtyard. I was adjusting his ankle bells as father’s words kept repeating in my mind. “A wink of carelessness in the battlefield or a word of truth on the theatre is enough to get your throat slit without an after-thought”, I could still hear them whispering from the depths of my heart. As I checked the strength of the thread, the ankle bells sang in rhythm to my inner thoughts. “A Sutha is not only a chariot-rider but also a chronicler of the King’s life. If the prince cries in pain, you say the tears are a manifestation of the royalty’s concern for the poor. If he exclaims it is for the good of the downtrodden and if he indulges in malpractices then it is to know the inner circles for better administrative strategies. We the so called Bards (Sutha) are the gatekeepers of a King’s role of divinity”, as I entered the stage I was almost repeating the words in low whispers.