Skip to main content

Open Letter - 14

Dear Society,

How was your week? I had a week full of virtual games and video calls with family, near and far, friends, close, best, good and those that had to introduce themselves once again. Out of many good things that came out of this crisis, one aspect is getting together with near and dear. With literally more than half of the world going into rest mode time for niceties has rebounded. The amount of data traffic (and data pollution) we caused is another issue though. For once, let us not speak about the cons of it. I am writing this letter to narrate you the story of a lockdown wedding.

Three months back, it might have sounded crazy, but now that the situation demands, these kinds of weddings might turn out to be the new normal. The wedding took place with not more than ten attendants including the bride and the groom. Though it sounds so depressing, the situation in reality was not so pathetic as there were nearly two thousand virtual viewers to the celebration. One live telecast and not one of the invitees could miss their grand wedding! We were all glued to our laptop screens.

The bride was bedecked in her choicest ornaments and the groom dressed suitably. Chitter chatter took place along chat pane while secret gossips ran through personal chats. It was a wedding lacking nothing albeit live attendance. Trust me, these virtual weddings seemed so practical and economic compared to our actual flamboyant weddings. Food was ordered to each invitee right to their doorstep and gifts were all received online.

As the wedding proceeded one statement kept repeating in the chat box. “The bride looks so beautiful!”, they kept saying. Even I was spellbound by her beauty. Never had I realised she looks so beautiful. The make-up must have been perfect owing to availability of limitless free time for that. As I sat gaping at the bride, my hand involuntarily touched my womb. May be I shall give birth to such a beautiful daughter! I kept wondering if I can do anything to help my daughter look as beautiful as the bride. For a while I was lost in the thought but it took me not more than few minutes to wake out of it.

Beauty? Why am I of all things about the bride thinking about her beauty? Wouldn’t a not- so-beautiful girl make an admirable bride? For that matter, wouldn’t a not-so-beautiful girl make anything great in her life? Why are we always obsessed of pairing beauty with girls? Why are we teaching them to enhance their beauty with every passing day through means either natural or artificial?

I asked the same question to a cousin of mine and he said because it is always pleasing to look at beautiful girls. Moreover, beauty and good looks apparently boost the confidence of girls. His answer seemed convincing for a while but the next minute I had the obvious question in mind. If beauty boosts one’s confidence, then why is that men look more confident than women while women are more obsessed with beauty than men? Are men so naturally confident enough that they do not need any beauty boosters?

Dear society, have you ever realised how difficult it might be for girls to grow and shave their hairs when, where and how you find impressive? Girls are walking an extra mile to put beauty before health and thus harming their most sensitive organs with chemicals not suitable even to exterior skin. As thoughts of excessive face bleaches and shaved undergrowth came reeling back to my mind, realisation dawned upon my clouded mind bright like a sunrise on a monsoon sky.

That moment, I felt determined that have I to give birth to a girl, I shall not tell her to look beautiful to please the world. Because the moment I tell her that, the world shall stop looking beautiful to her eyes as beauty lies not in perfection but in acceptance.

Dear society, hope you pass this message on to all your innocent girls, loving mother and wise women so that by the time my child enters this world, there would be none hoping to find a fair and lovely child by my side.

Thanking you in advance,

Yours sincerely,

An Expecting Mother.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyranny of Filming an Irony

The chilly cold breeze of the December winds was scarring his face. Anshul was staring out of the window unbothered of the freezing pain caused by their cold fingers. He was deep immersed in his thoughts about the on-going project. The days weren't harsh. He had been through harder times. This time his thoughts were more concerned about the impact his film is going to make on the viewers. Even one life saved is saved forever. He knew the impact films could have on people. When films could westernize people, teach them all sorts of violence and all sorts of crimes, then what great wonders could films do if they spread values? One good film is a one-time vaccine that hits millions of hearts in a single take and then keeps them immune to evil for a lifetime. 

Letter to Society Campaign - Open Letter 2

Dear society, You bothered me when I was an average student. I hated Math and you didn’t like that fact. You thought my parents reputation depended on my marks. You said I was putting them down - No, FYI I love them and will always do. And the respect they have earned cannot be tarnished by my percentage in math. No! You bothered me again when I was doing extremely well in my studies years later when I have learnt my interests and followed them. Didn’t you want that in the first place? You wanted me to get married because girls are supposed to settle at the right time. I’m a reason to worry for my parents because I chose career. You couldn’t comprehend what will I do after I study so much. Finally a girl had to get married. You were so worried about my future prospects - Actually you wanted me to study but not so well, earn but not so much, rise but not too high. Who will decide what Is the right time to do something and how much is enough? You? Sorry I disagree.  You were so so worrie

Suthaputra

The failing light of the western horizon was being outshone by the razing hurricane lamps of the central courtyard. I was adjusting his ankle bells as father’s words kept repeating in my mind. “A wink of carelessness in the battlefield or a word of truth on the theatre is enough to get your throat slit without an after-thought”, I could still hear them whispering from the depths of my heart. As I checked the strength of the thread, the ankle bells sang in rhythm to my inner thoughts. “A Sutha is not only a chariot-rider but also a chronicler of the King’s life. If the prince cries in pain, you say the tears are a manifestation of the royalty’s concern for the poor. If he exclaims it is for the good of the downtrodden and if he indulges in malpractices then it is to know the inner circles for better administrative strategies. We the so called Bards (Sutha) are the gatekeepers of a King’s role of divinity”, as I entered the stage I was almost repeating the words in low whispers.