Skip to main content

Open Letter - 10

Dear Society,
Wish you happy mother’s day. I guess you are having a busy time greeting all your mothers on their special day. I am writing this letter to give you a helping hand in sending your wishes to all those wonderful mothers out there. If you have not forgotten, I am an expecting mother too and I guess I can await a letter from you this day next year.  
Of all the things you say, you were mostly right about mothers. Mothers are truly the most loved creatures on earth. Be it a pup or a calf or a kid or a child, mother’s care is unparalleled among all beings. They make us feel safe and secure. They keep us motivated. They trust us. They fight for us. They guide us. They inspire us.
An entire world may turn against us, but our mother shall always stand by us. They set right our mistakes. They appreciate our achievements. They pretend ignorance to make us feel wise. They walk an extra mile to make us feel loved.
A mother is an embodiment of sacrifice. She sacrifices her pleasures to ease our pain. She sacrifices her career to raise our scores. She sacrifices her engagements to keep us company. She sacrifices her world to become our world. This mother’s day I bow low to all those selfless mothers whose love towards their children is limitless and unconditional.
Dear society, it might seem out of place, but, do you see the irony here? You and I keep glorifying the sacrifices made by mothers but do we ever ask ourselves why we are letting them do all those sacrifices?
Why do we let our mothers sacrifice their happiness for our joy? Don’t you think we are enslaving them for a lifetime with all our over-romanticised motherhood? To speak a woman’s heart out, mothers need not always be symbols of sacrifice. Mother’s need not always be selfless. Mothers need not always be caring. Mothers need not always be AWAKE.
How many mothers under your shadow have a wink of sleep before their family sleeps? From early morning coffee to post dinner dish washing, mothers are always working and running.
I know you have stopped restricting women from working outdoors and I applaud you for that. Our mothers today are not limited to their soot filled kitchens like their mothers. They most tactfully balance both their domestic as well as professional affairs. They are rising to the image of the multi-handed goddess (that we all share on our social media platforms today) with cookery in one hand, a child in another, laptop in the next and money in the other.
Our mothers can skilfully accommodate domestic chores, child care, work life and money management in their daily routine. One must appreciate their mettle and determination for successfully leading the life of a multi-tasker. One must concede none can beat mothers at their level of patience and perseverance.
However, if you call this empowerment of women, I am afraid I cannot agree with you. Empowerment is an indication of rise in one’s standard of living. Bestowing financial independence on women is not just enough to call them empowered. There should be a significant ease in their lifestyle. With all the multi-tasking they are so glorified about, don’t you think our mothers are being over-strained?
Why are we still not dividing child care and domestic chores equally among mothers and fathers? Requesting men to lend a helping hand in domestic affairs is not enough. We need to tell them that it is their work as well. When a man extends a helping hand in domestic affairs, you either make a hero out of him or make fun of him. When a father changes napkins for his child, you are not to tell him that he is helping his wife. You are instead supposed to tell him that he is doing his job as a parent. When a son or a daughter cooks for the day, they are again not helping their mother. They are rather doing their job as members of the family.
Dear society, my only request to you on this special day is to stop over-romanticising motherhood. Instead of lauding the sacrifices made by mothers, tell them they need not always sacrifice their fun, love, careers and goals for anything in the world; not even for a child.
Have no doubt that I might hide this letter from my child. I am going to be a mother, yes, but I am going to teach my child the way to treat a mother. Because I cannot teach independence by letting my child be ever-dependent on its mother.
Hope you spread my word and wish all your mothers on my behalf.
Yours lovingly,

An Expecting Mother. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyranny of Filming an Irony

The chilly cold breeze of the December winds was scarring his face. Anshul was staring out of the window unbothered of the freezing pain caused by their cold fingers. He was deep immersed in his thoughts about the on-going project. The days weren't harsh. He had been through harder times. This time his thoughts were more concerned about the impact his film is going to make on the viewers. Even one life saved is saved forever. He knew the impact films could have on people. When films could westernize people, teach them all sorts of violence and all sorts of crimes, then what great wonders could films do if they spread values? One good film is a one-time vaccine that hits millions of hearts in a single take and then keeps them immune to evil for a lifetime. 

Letter to Society Campaign - Open Letter 2

Dear society, You bothered me when I was an average student. I hated Math and you didn’t like that fact. You thought my parents reputation depended on my marks. You said I was putting them down - No, FYI I love them and will always do. And the respect they have earned cannot be tarnished by my percentage in math. No! You bothered me again when I was doing extremely well in my studies years later when I have learnt my interests and followed them. Didn’t you want that in the first place? You wanted me to get married because girls are supposed to settle at the right time. I’m a reason to worry for my parents because I chose career. You couldn’t comprehend what will I do after I study so much. Finally a girl had to get married. You were so worried about my future prospects - Actually you wanted me to study but not so well, earn but not so much, rise but not too high. Who will decide what Is the right time to do something and how much is enough? You? Sorry I disagree.  You were so so worrie

Suthaputra

The failing light of the western horizon was being outshone by the razing hurricane lamps of the central courtyard. I was adjusting his ankle bells as father’s words kept repeating in my mind. “A wink of carelessness in the battlefield or a word of truth on the theatre is enough to get your throat slit without an after-thought”, I could still hear them whispering from the depths of my heart. As I checked the strength of the thread, the ankle bells sang in rhythm to my inner thoughts. “A Sutha is not only a chariot-rider but also a chronicler of the King’s life. If the prince cries in pain, you say the tears are a manifestation of the royalty’s concern for the poor. If he exclaims it is for the good of the downtrodden and if he indulges in malpractices then it is to know the inner circles for better administrative strategies. We the so called Bards (Sutha) are the gatekeepers of a King’s role of divinity”, as I entered the stage I was almost repeating the words in low whispers.