Skip to main content

Open Letter - 12

Dear Society,

                How was your week? I am writing this letter to confront you on one particular statement you have been propagating since time immemorial. You always say women cannot keep secrets and every time I hear it I giggle at women’s inability to hold their tongue.

                Women are your news correspondents. They are your network that works at a speed beyond human imagination. From domestic trifles to international issues women are always up to date. You share your household problem with them, it becomes community gossip. You tell them your views on an issue, you become talk-of-the-town. You tell them to keep a secret, it becomes a universally-known-secret.

                Every time I come across a friend, scores of secrets unveil between us. One such conversation made me write this letter to you. Mind you, it is top- secret I am made to promise not to tell anyone. I expect you to keep it a secret as well.

                It had been a couple of hours since we started chatting, by when we covered almost all common friends and family gossips. It was then she embarked upon this story of her friend who recently committed suicide owing to domestic violence. The story lit a new path to our conversation and we started discussing suicides and domestic violence. Half way through the discussion we identified that majority of the cases ended with none in the family aware of the suicidal tendencies in the women and the presence of domestic violence in their lives.

                It came as a surprise to me that all those women let not a single word of their painful situation reach your ears. It might seem unbelievable to you, but, dear society, they kept secrets. Those women kept harassment showered upon them a secret. And you always say women cannot keep secrets!

                True. Women cannot keep secrets. They cannot keep the achievements of their family a secret. They cannot keep their happiness a secret. They cannot keep their petty trifles a secret. But when it comes to pain, trust me, there are no great secret keepers than women. If you give a deep look to their gossip-mongering faces, you can find traces of stained tears on their shallowed cheeks. You may hold them in a conversation for hours together but not get them reveal their personal secrets of pain and sorrow that they hold as a shield to their family’s honour and pride.

                Dear society, how wonderful it would be if you were completely right when you said women cannot keep secrets? How wonderful it would be if women truly cannot keep secrets? Scores of women can be saved from burns, scars, pockmarks, tears, isolation and death only if women can’t keep secrets. No woman shall suffer in silence if she doesn’t know to keep a secret. Well, if I were to give birth to a child, I shall teach her to make your words come true. My daughter shall know not to keep a secret of pain and sorrow. You are bound to see her tears as much as you see her smile.

Note: If you think these letters are our personal means of communication, then I must say you are wrong on one front and right on the other.

                Because I am a woman and you very well know I cannot keep secrets.

Feel free to contact me at any time if you feel isolated and depressed.

Yours lovingly,

An Expecting Mother.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tyranny of Filming an Irony

The chilly cold breeze of the December winds was scarring his face. Anshul was staring out of the window unbothered of the freezing pain caused by their cold fingers. He was deep immersed in his thoughts about the on-going project. The days weren't harsh. He had been through harder times. This time his thoughts were more concerned about the impact his film is going to make on the viewers. Even one life saved is saved forever. He knew the impact films could have on people. When films could westernize people, teach them all sorts of violence and all sorts of crimes, then what great wonders could films do if they spread values? One good film is a one-time vaccine that hits millions of hearts in a single take and then keeps them immune to evil for a lifetime. 

Letter to Society Campaign - Open Letter 2

Dear society, You bothered me when I was an average student. I hated Math and you didn’t like that fact. You thought my parents reputation depended on my marks. You said I was putting them down - No, FYI I love them and will always do. And the respect they have earned cannot be tarnished by my percentage in math. No! You bothered me again when I was doing extremely well in my studies years later when I have learnt my interests and followed them. Didn’t you want that in the first place? You wanted me to get married because girls are supposed to settle at the right time. I’m a reason to worry for my parents because I chose career. You couldn’t comprehend what will I do after I study so much. Finally a girl had to get married. You were so worried about my future prospects - Actually you wanted me to study but not so well, earn but not so much, rise but not too high. Who will decide what Is the right time to do something and how much is enough? You? Sorry I disagree.  You were so so worrie

Suthaputra

The failing light of the western horizon was being outshone by the razing hurricane lamps of the central courtyard. I was adjusting his ankle bells as father’s words kept repeating in my mind. “A wink of carelessness in the battlefield or a word of truth on the theatre is enough to get your throat slit without an after-thought”, I could still hear them whispering from the depths of my heart. As I checked the strength of the thread, the ankle bells sang in rhythm to my inner thoughts. “A Sutha is not only a chariot-rider but also a chronicler of the King’s life. If the prince cries in pain, you say the tears are a manifestation of the royalty’s concern for the poor. If he exclaims it is for the good of the downtrodden and if he indulges in malpractices then it is to know the inner circles for better administrative strategies. We the so called Bards (Sutha) are the gatekeepers of a King’s role of divinity”, as I entered the stage I was almost repeating the words in low whispers.